Funeral Thank You Notes: 21 Wording Examples
A funeral is always an emotional and incredibly difficult time. Having lost a loved one you are feeling dazed and crushed. But soon after a funeral you might start to think about sending your funeral thank you cards.
When people have shown their support, be that through sending you a card or message of sympathy, flowers or just being at the funeral, you will probably want to thank them.
But knowing what you say or write in your thank you notes can be hard. How do you express the appreciation you feel for the support shown during such a tough time.
If you’re struggling with your funeral thank you notes then this guide will show you what to write, when to send them and some useful wording examples amongst much more.
Hopefully it will give you the confidence and any help that’s needed to make the process of sending sympathy thank you notes that much simpler.
Funeral Thank You Wording
Whilst you can write your thank you cards any way you want, the following guide is a good template for how to construct a simple note of thanks:
- Start your thank you note by addressing the recipient – “Dear ______” is the standard greeting and works perfectly for a message of thanks
- Next thank them for their support, condolences, gift or whatever way they were there for you. Something simple like “thank you so much for thinking of me during such a difficult time. You words were really comforting when I need them most”
- Follow this with a thoughtful sentiment or few words about how they helped – “I will never forget your support and friendship”
- End your note or card by possibly saying thanks again or something like “All my love” before signing your name (handwritten rather than printed)
Your note doesn’t have to be anything particularly special but just ensure it acknowledges whatever it was the recipient did and offers your thanks.
Sample Thank You Notes for After a Funeral
The example thank you messages here are split into different categories – thank you for attending the funeral, for helping with it, for flowers, money/donations and condolences.
Thank You Wording for Attending the Funeral
When sending a note to someone who attended the funeral, be that family, friend or acquaintance, make it clear you appreciated them being there and any effort it may have taken them to come.
Thank you so much for being at the funeral. It was really important to us for you to be there and we know it would have meant the world to [the deceased’s name].
We were so pleased you could make the funeral and even more so to hear the wonderful memories and stories you shared. To remember [deceased’s name] in such a heartwarming way was so appreciated by the entire family.
We were touched greatly have you attend [deceased’s name]’s funeral. He/she would have definitely wanted you there, without a doubt. Thank you for your support.
Your presence at [deceased’s name]’s funeral was greatly welcomed. We wanted all his/her friends to be there so it wouldn’t have been the same without you. Thank you for making the effort.
Thank You for Helping with the Funeral Notes
Thank those who help plan or arrange the funeral with these message examples.
Thank you for all your help with planning the funeral. We couldn’t have done it without you.
When you volunteered to help it took such a burden off of my shoulders. It made a huge difference and allowed for everything to go smoothly. I really appreciate the assistance, thank you so much.
The planning of the funeral was very stressful so having someone to take on some of the load was a relief. Thank you for all you did, I won’t forget it.
You made a really hard day that bit easier. Thank you for your help and support, it was truly appreciated.
Wording for Money
If someone made a donation or sent a gift then these thank you note samples will show you how to offer your gratitude for their kind gesture.
We can’t find the words to thank you enough for your donation. It has eased so much pressure off of us during this awful period and we appreciate it enormously.
Thank you so much for your generosity. Boa credit card interest rate was such a kind gesture and one we truly appreciate.
Your donation in the honor of [deceased’s name] was absolutely amazing – a really heartwarming gesture. As a family we were so pleased to see how much he/she meant to you.
Such banks on state street thoughtful donation has not gone unnoticed. We were both shocked and thrilled to see your incredible generosity. Our thanks and gratitude.
For Funeral Flowers
Many people send flowers to a funeral. Use these thank you messages to show your appreciation for a beautiful bouquet.
We are so grateful for the lovely flowers you sent to the funeral. They were beautiful and really helped brighten a tough day.
All our love,
Thank you for your beautiful arrangement. It was so thoughtful and we are beyond grateful to have received it.
The gorgeous flowers you sent were just perfect. To have your support and love throughout this time has been a blessing.
I know that [deceased’s name] would have loved the flower arrangement you sent. Thank you for a lovely gesture.
Sympathy Thank You’s
You will probably have received some messages of condolence, so thank those people for their kind words with these notes.
Thank you ever so much for your kind words and thoughts. It’s been incredibly difficult so knowing friends are there during our hardest moments is
I can’t express how touched I was by your card and kind words. It means the world to me to receive such support at this time. Thank you for everything.
It’s at the toughest times that real friends show their worth, and having you there for support and a shoulder to cry on has been invaluable. I will never forget it.
All my love,
Condolence Thank You Notes
Thank you for your warm condolences. It’s been so hard to try and find any comfort but having friends like you is a real blessing.
Thank you for reaching out and for showing such understanding. Your card was a kind and thoughtful gesture, one that helped during such a difficult period.
Tips for Writing Your Thank You Notes
- Don’t worry about making your notes impressive and very ‘wordy’ i.e long. Short and to the point is ideal. Be honest and speak from the heart and that will be good enough.
- If you have a large number of thank you’s to write and send and so need some help you can buy packs of thank you notes with prewritten messages printed in them. If you decide to go this way then try to include a short personalized message too.
- Even if it’s been some time since the funeral has happened don’t worry about it being too late to send your notes. Ideally, if you can, you’d send them within a few weeks of the funeral. But people will understand if you’re busy with other things during such a difficult time and so if it takes longer than thank you message for flowers from friend they won’t mind.
- If the list of people to thank is just too long or overwhelming then don’t be afraid to ask for some help. A family member or close friend will be glad to offer some assistance in getting through them all.
- If you do take some time with sending your notes then remember to sign your full name or include your last name. This is especially key for those you aren’t that close to or know that well.
- If you would prefer to sign your note “from the family of…” then that’s perfectly fine. Often thank you notes are sent on behalf of a family instead of one single person. However if the flowers, gift, card etc. was addressed to you directly then you can just sign your own name.
Acknowledging the time, effort and thought that went into friends and loved ones involvement in a funeral is not only polite but should be rewarding.
Hopefully the funeral thank you note examples provided here will have helped you to write your own notes and make it clear how much you needed and appreciated their support.
After loss of someone close, you should write a funeral thank you note to all the people who offered support and comfort during that hard and sad phase of your life. Thank you notes for funeral and thank you notes after funeral should be written using very generous and peaceful words. It should clearly show your humbleness and generosity.
If you are searching for thank you notes for funeral or funeral thank you notes wordings, or if you finding it difficult to write thank you notes after funeral, then this post is surely going to thank you message for flowers from friend you. Here, I have listed the most humble and generous funeral thank you notes. You can seek idea from the below listed funeral thank you notes. You can simply write these funeral thank you notes thank you message for flowers from friend a plain card and give it to the ones who have been there with you through your sad times.
Thank you for being the moral support
that you gave during the hard times.
It was all a mess after losing my son.
You have been a real good human being
in helping us get through such hard times.
I can’t express
what I am feeling right now
in having you by my side as always,
during good or bad times, always.
It wasn’t easy for us
to stand back after George’s demise.
I want to appreciate your efforts
for the support that you gave.
Having people like you with us
during hard times helps to heal soon.
It was really generous of you
to travel from such a long distance
to attend John’s funeral service. .
Thank you for attending the funeral service.
I am grateful to you and your family
for the love and support at this time.
Thank you for attending
the funeral and generous donation.
It would have meant a lot
to the departed soul
to know of so many contributions.
We were deeply touched
by the funeral message that you gave.
Your love for him brought
more tears in our already drenched eyes.
Your presence made us
stand strong on the funeral day.
It was you who supported us
all the way through hard times
and gave us strength to bear such a pain.
Much love to you and thanks…
Funeral thank you notes wording:
Are looking for generous and calm funeral thank you notes wordings? This section of our post will surely help you. Here, we have written funeral thank you notes wording that can be written on funeral thank you cards which you can send to the people who attended the funeral of your family member or someone close.
Thank you for making
the arrangements for the funeral,
even after your busy schedule.
It was much appreciated.
The support that you
all showed during the funeral
was commendable and helped us
gain strength to get out of bad times soon.
Thank you for sympathy and kindness.
It meant a great deal to us.
Your words of sympathy
at the funeral really touched our souls
and we could feel the pain
that you were also going
through during the funeral.
Thanks for being there.
You thank you message for flowers from friend tears into smiles
by your presence at the funeral.
Appreciate the way
you reached to us during time of huge loss.
We have been
through a lot during past years.
No one would have
understood me as closely as possible other than you.
We are grateful to
friends like you who stood by us during this hard time.
Thank you for being with us.
It was so kind of you
to make a donation
towards the family
in the name of the departed soul.
Thank you so very much.
It’s hard to put
thanks into words
that we would like to give for all your help.
I can never get such a friend like you in life again.
Your active participation
in making the funeral service
go smooth was much appreciated.
I cannot be more thankful to you
so accept these pictures as the return favors.
My most heartfelt appreciation
for you to manage all the proceedings
during the funeral.
The food service
by your men was really helpful.
When in need you were there for us.
A much needed friend and neighbor.
Thank you notes for funeral flowers:
Thank you notes for funeral flowers should be sent to those who brought flowers on the funeral ceremony of someone close to you. You should really thank them for putting an effort to share your pain and comforting you with flowers. In this section, you will get to read the most generous thank you notes for funeral flowers. Feel free to send these thank you notes to the ones who have sent or have brought funeral flowers.
Thank you all for the
full support from your family.
I have never been
so overwhelmed by your generosity.
Your lovely flowers were really good.
Your flowers were really beautiful.
Thank you for comforting us
with your flowers.
Funeral flowers you had sent
were really soothing and comforting.
Hope these thank you funeral notes have provided words to express your appreciation for the people who have put efforts to comfort you during the sad times. Feel free to send them and express your generosity and how thankful you are!
What to include on your baby thank you cards
- Address the recipient by name
- Add a general thank you message
- Mention the gift received and how you plan to use it
- Sign off by hand with a phrase suited to your relationship with the recipient
Writing your baby thank you cards
Whether you are thanking your loved ones for a kind gift or for attending your baby shower, a heartfelt message is the best way to share your appreciation. You can write your baby thanks you cards in many different styles and can even write them as if they are from your little one. The options are endless so if you are having a hard time putting your gratitude into words then take a look at our suggested wording for your baby thank you cards.
Don’t forget that our friendly customer service team are also on hand to help you create the perfect baby or christening thank you cards, so do not hesitate to get in touch by phone, email or online chat. As part of our complimentary retouching service, our talented proofreaders will also double check your text to make sure that it is perfect, and will even suggest alternative baby thank you card wording where necessary.
Baby thank you card messages
We are sincerely thankful for your thoughtful gift and all of your love and support!
Thank you for supporting us during this new and exciting time in our lives!
We cannot wait for baby Catherine to meet you!
Love from, Peter and Sophie
Thank you for your generous gift! We really appreciate it and we know Catherine does too!
We are forever grateful.
Love from, Peter and Sophie
I’m so glad that you were able to attend my baby shower.
It would not have been the same without you!
We can't wait to dress little Joseph up in the adorable outfit you got him.
Love from, Sophie
Thank you so much for the sweet card!
We appreciate your support during this special time in our lives and it feels good to know you’re thinking of us!
Many thanks. Do come and visit Joseph soon.
Love from, Peter and Sophie
Little Catherine thanks you for her lovely gift.
She can’t wait to meet you for a cuddle to say thank you, so do come and visit soon.
Love from, Peter and Sophie
Thank you for attending my baby shower!
You being there really meant a lot to me.
We really appreciate your love and support and cannot wait for you to meet Catherine.
Love from, Peter and Sophie
Wording your christening thank you cards
If you would like to thank your loved ones for attending your child’s christening then facebook comce book is easy to do so with our personalised christening thank you cards. A few words go a long way, so keep it simple with a little thank you or take a look at our suggested christening thank you cards wording ideas below. If your little one was lucky enough to be showered with gifts, then be sure to mention the specific gift from each recipient when writing your christening thank you cards.
Thank you for sharing in the joy of my christening.
Your love, prayers and generous gift were greatly appreciated.
Love from, Catherine
I would like to thank you for the beautiful gift you gave me for my christening.
Even though you were unable to attend the service,
it was nice to know that you were thinking of me on my special day.
Love from, Catherine
We would like to thank you for being Godparent to baby Joseph
and attending his christening.
We much appreciate your support.
Love from, Peter and Sophie
Thank you for your kind wishes and beautiful gifts
to celebrate the christening of
our precious daughter/son,
Love from, Peter and Thank you message for flowers from friend https://www.rosemood.co.uk/wording/baby-thank-you-cards/
What to Say In a Thank You Note
A sympathy thank you note only needs to contain a simple sentence or two. The important thing is that you are acknowledging someone’s thoughtfulness. Your message can be brief as long as it is heartfelt.
Many people choose to include a short personal note using preprinted sympathy thank you cards. If you prefer, you can use a blank note card. Thank you cards can be purchased from the funeral home, gift shops, department stores, stationery stores, or from online printing services that specialize in funeral products.
It’s always good etiquette to make your message sincere and personal. Your goal is to express gratitude for the kindness shown to you and your family. Whatever sentiment you include in your message, the person receiving your note will appreciate the time you have taken to say thank you. There is no need to worry about what to write. As long as your message is appropriate for the situation, you will say the right thing.
To help you get started on crafting what you’d like to say, we have included a variety of tips and examples.
Top Tips for Writing a Sympathy Thank You Note
- Don’t worry if time has passed since the funeral. While it’s best to get your notes in the mail within a few weeks of the funeral, people will understand if it takes a month or two.
- Ask for help if you need it. The number of thank you notes that need to be sent out can increase quickly. Don’t be afraid to ask family members to help.
- Break the list into pieces. Tackling the entire list at once can be overwhelming. Breaking the task up into manageable pieces can make it easier to get started.
- Your signature can include other family members. If you’re sending a sympathy thank you note to someone on behalf of your entire family, signing it “the family of ….” is perfectly acceptable. This allows the sender to encompass the gratitude of all members of the family. If sympathies have been extended primarily to you, it’s fine to simply sign your own name.
- Include your last name or the full name of the deceased in the note. Be sure to include your last name when thanking those who aren’t close friends (for example, the office or workplace of your loved one). This is especially important if you are a bit late (or very late) in sending out your acknowledgments.
- Short but meaningful is the goal. A simple 1 to 3 sentence thank you is all that is needed as long as it is personal and comes from the heart. You can purchase sympathy thank you notes that come with a preprinted message or blank note cards for your message. Even if you use preprinted notes, you should add a brief personal message.
Examples of What to Say in a Sympathy Thank You Note
There are countless ways to phrase your expression thank you message for flowers from friend gratitude. Below are some typical sentiments that you can use to get started.
- Thank you for your sympathy and kindness.
- We deeply appreciate your expression of sympathy.
- Thank you for your support at this difficult time.
- Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.
- We are grateful for friends like you at this time of sorrow.
- We appreciate having you with us at this difficult time in our lives.
- Thank you for the support and comfort you provided.
What do I say in a sympathy thank you note for condolence flowers?
Sending flowers to acknowledge the loss of someone is one of the most common expressions of sympathy. You will likely have a number of thank you cards for funeral flowers to write. Below are some examples of things you might say.
- The [wreath/arrangement] you sent to the funeral home was stunning. We greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration during this difficult time.
- The flowers you sent in honor of ____________ was one of our favorite arrangements. It meant the world to us to have your support.
Thank you for your kindness in sending flowers to the funeral home for ___________________’s funeral. The arrangement was beautiful and ____________________ would have loved them.
- Thank you so much for the lovely [wreath/arrangement] you sent to ____________________’s funeral. I know ___________ would have been very touched
by your thoughtfulness.
- Thank you for sending the beautiful [wreath/arrangment]. Your kindness and thoughtfulness meant so much to us.
- The flowers you sent brought such beauty and light to the room. I know that _______________ would have loved them.
- It was so kind of you to send the spectacular [wreath/arrangement] to ___________________’s funeral. We are very grateful to have you in our lives.
- Thank you for the gorgeous [wreath/arrangement]. That was very kind of you and I/we feel so grateful to have you in my life/our lives.
What do I say in a sympathy thank you note for a cash donation?
It is appropriate to send a thank you note if someone has made a donation in the deceased’s name. While it is considered bad form to state the dollar amount that is given, there are other ways express gratitude for cash gifts appropriately. You may also find yourself receiving a cash donation. Acknowledging cash can be a little awkward but there are many ways to say thank you. Below are a few suggestions to help:
- Thank you for your kindness in remembering _________ with your donation. Your thoughtfulness and generosity are much appreciated by the entire family.
- We are so appreciative of your generosity. Your donation in honor of ___________ will help fund the grave marker. Thank you so very much.
- It was so kind of you to make a donation to the family in honor of _____________. We are pleased to pay it forward by sending a gift to the ______ charity, which was dear to _________’s heart. Thank you for your generosity and kindness.
- Your donation in honor of __________’s memory touched us deeply. Thank you for your generosity and thoughtfulness, and may God bless you.
- We appreciate your thoughtful donation to ____________ in memory of ______________.
- Thank you so much for the generous donation to the __________ in ________’s name. As you know, he suffered from __________ for years before his passing, and this was the perfect gift in his memory.
- Thank you so much for the generous donation to the __________ in ________’s name. As you know, supporting __________ was a passion for _____________ for many years. Your donation was the perfect way to honor her memory.
What do I say in a sympathy thank you note for sympathy food and meals?
- Thank you so much for providing a meal for our family! It was wonderful to be able to have one less meal to worry about during this difficult and busy time.
- Bringing dinner to our home was extremely generous and very much appreciated. We are grateful to have friends like you!
- It meant so much that you took the time to prepare food for us. Not only was it delicious it was greatly appreciated!
- The kindness you showed by taking the time to cook for us brought a great deal of comfort and relief during this difficult time. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.
- Thank you so much for bringing ________________________ for the after funeral reception. The _____________ was particularly delicious.
- You made my day so much easier by bringing _________________ for the family to enjoy after the funeral. It was so nice to be able to spend time with the family without worrying about preparing dinner.
- The casseroles you brought to the house were just with we needed! We enjoyed them for days. I don’t know what we would have eaten without them. Thank you for thinking of us
Addressing your acknowledgments
Thank you notes should be sent to people at their own address. It is generally not proper to include a person’s name on a card and send it to an address where they do not live unless it is addressed something like this: “Joe Smith, c/o Sue Anderson.” You should only do this if you cannot locate an address for the recipient and thank you message for flowers from friend sure that the person you are sending it “in care of” is willing to deliver it to the recipient.
What about the return address? If you’re a woman whose spouse has died, you are still “Mrs. John Smith,” and it is perfectly proper to use that title in your return address. “Sally Smith” is acceptable too. “The Smith Family” also is fine, if you’re writing on behalf of your family.
Should you use a preprinted return address label that includes the name of the deceased? Although good etiquette recommends a handwritten return address, using a preprinted label is a call only you can make. If you feel comfortable with it, or feel that it honors the memory of your loved one, then, by all means, use your “John and Sally Smith” address label.
Have you thought about planning ahead? The loss of a loved one is a time of transition. We may feel a need to reorganize and make sure that everything is in order for the road ahead. If you’re thinking of preplanning, our funeral planning tools can guide you through the process. Always free and always there when you need them.
Contributor: Jenny Mertes
Tips for Writing an Anniversary Message
A significant milestone in a relationship, reinforce your bond of love with a message that is personal and meaningful. Straight from the heart is the best way to go here.
Tips for Writing a Birthday Message
Birthdays are a chance to have a little fun. They can be sincere, funny, or uplifting. The best messages include something personal between you and the recipient which can be added after a funny or sincere note.
Tips for Writing a Get Well Message
Sending a warm message along with some bright, fresh flowers is a great way to help someone in the hospital recover quickly. Whether for a friend, family member, or coworker, select a general saying and then add some personal details to make it your own.
Tips for Writing a Thank You Message
Sending "thanks" to someone for doing something in particular, or just because they make you smile every day, is a great way to show your appreciation for them. From a general thanks for someone you don't know very well (Great Aunt, teacher, dog sitter) to a close friend or family member, expressing your thanks is always well-received and appreciated.
Tips for Writing a Mother's Day Message
When writing a message to someone as important as a mom, feelings can sometimes overwhelm you and you don't know where to start. Use our message suggestions as a starting point to prompt you to express your true feelings in letting your mom know how much she means to you.
Tips for Writing a Sympathy Message
Coming up with the words for a sincere and thoughtful sympathy message is probably the most difficult of all. Trying to comfort someone who is in pain and suffered a loss may leave you confused on where to begin. It's helpful to write words of support and encouragement and, above all else, thank you message for flowers from friend be sincere and thoughtful. Often a well-crafted quote works well to capture the sentiment you're feeling.